Pre Surgical Rehab
Recover Faster With Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation
It is natural to feel a bit worried about an upcoming surgical procedure. You may wonder how the surgery will go or how long the recovery period will be. A recovery plan will most likely require physical therapy treatments following surgery, in order to relieve your pain and regain your function. However, many people are not aware that you can complete pre-surgical rehabilitation (or “pre-hab”) treatments to help your body prepare for the upcoming surgery. For more information on pre-hab and how it can benefit you, contact Lonoke Physical Therapy and ProMotion Physical Therapy today!
Your surgeon should recommend pre-surgical rehabilitation in order to improve the outcome of your surgery. Studies have shown that beginning physical therapy a month or so before undergoing a surgical procedure can greatly decrease your recovery time. Preparing for a surgery can be anxiety-ridden – but a pre-hab program may be able to put your mind at ease. Pre-hab treatment plans provide you with everything you need to be as physically and mentally prepared as possible for your procedure.
How will pre-hab help me?
The National Institutes of Health states that participating in exercise therapies prior to surgery can exceptionally improve your post-operative outcomes and reduce your recovery time. Surgery is generally only performed when there are no other options available, due to the toll that it takes on your body. A pre-surgical rehabilitation program focuses on improving strength before surgery so the body can heal faster and easier. Essentially, it prepares your body for the procedure. Your Lonoke & North Little Rock, AR physical therapist can help you improve your range of motion and patterns of movement with targeted exercises that you can do both before and after surgery. Pre-hab can also help you prepare mentally, by encouraging an overall sense of well-being beforehand. In general, pre-hab treatments assist in improving your physical health and promoting general wellness before your procedure.
6 benefits of pre-hab:
There are six essential keys to pre-surgical rehabilitation and how it can help improve your recovery:
- Reduced pain. Pre-hab can greatly reduce your pain following surgery. This can be done through a variety of methods, including ice and heat therapies, exercise, or massage.
- Shortened recovery. Pre-hab allows for a much smoother surgical process. Having strong and toned muscles before surgery helps you get back to your regular routine much easier and quicker than it would without.
- Improved outcomes. The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) states that pre-hab can improve the overall outcomes of surgery and it can even help in saving money if everything goes smoothly. If your muscles are strengthened prior to surgery, it is more likely that the surgery will be successful and the recovery time will be shorter.
- Reduced complications. Pre-hab incorporates targeted exercises to help increase your strength and endurance. As a result, this can improve your immunity, meaning that the chance of infection after surgery is much lower.
- Increased stamina. It is no secret that any surgical procedure will result in a loss of strength as your body is recovering. However, pre-hab can help in reducing how much strength is lost by increasing your stamina before the operation. In turn, this will make the recovery process much smoother since there will be less strength lost.
- The possibility of avoiding surgery. Sometimes, pre-hab treatments can even eliminate the need for surgery altogether. While this is not always the case, some patients have actually found that their pre-hab treatments were sufficient enough in reducing their pain that they canceled their procedure. If your pre-hab treatments are successful in decreasing your pain and improving your function, you may save yourself from an invasive surgery. If your condition begins to improve considerably after starting your treatments, you’ll want to consult with your physician regarding future treatment options and the possibility of avoiding the unnecessary procedure.
Speed up your recovery with Lonoke Physical Therapy and ProMotion Physical Therapy:
Pre-surgical rehabilitation has a vast range of benefits for pre-surgical patients. One of our Lonoke & North Little Rock, AR physical therapists would be happy to consult with you to figure out what treatment plan would be best for your specific needs going into surgery. When you are as strong, flexible, and healthy as possible, you are able to regain normal function much quicker after your procedure is complete. Pre-hab can also help you become accustomed to a training routine that you can take into your post-surgical recovery for a better outcome.
If you have a surgery coming up, contact Lonoke Physical Therapy and ProMotion Physical Therapy today to speak with one of our qualified physical therapists. For the best results, it’s important to get started as soon as possible. Schedule an appointment at our Lonoke & North Little Rock, AR physical therapy clinic today to prepare for an easier procedure and recovery period. We’ll help you get back to your daily life as quickly as possible!